|Also known as||Ruby|
|Family members|| |
|Affiliation|| Story Club|
Ruby Gillis was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gillis, sister of Susan and several Gillis girls and the friend of Anne Shirley.
Studies at Queen's Academy
Ruby joined a special class for students who wanted to become a teacher. She succesfully passed the test and in September 1880 she attended Queen's Academy. Ruby studied there for two years and graduated in June 1882. Her best friend Jane took two years' work in one year.
Ruby wasn't able to teach since she had that attack of congestion in the winter 1883. She said that she wanted to teach in White Sands in the fall and marry with Herb Spencer. Ruby and her family didn't give in that she was dying of galloping consumption. She died in August 1884.
Ruby is a female given name of English origin and means red gemstone. It was very popular name in late 19th century.
Behind the scenes
- Abigail Snarr portrays Ruby in Green Gables Fables (2014), an American web series and the modern adaptation of Anne of Green Gables.
- Jennifer Inch portrayed Ruby in two films by Kevin Sullivan, Anne of Green Gables (1985) and Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987). Jennifer also appeared in Road to Avonlea as Maid at Stanley Estate and as Sara's mother.
- Makoto Kousaka replaced Mami Koyama in the voice role of Ruby Gillis in Japanese TV series Akage no An (1979).
- Mami Koyama was former Ruby's voice actress in Akage no An. Mami also provided the voice of Minnie May Barry.
- Kim Hardy portrayed her in the 1972 TV series Anne of Green Gables and its sequel, Anne of Avonlea (1975).
- Lýdia Rišková provided the voice of Ruby in the 1966 radio drama Anna zo Zeleného domu.
- Janet Reid portrayed Ruby in the 1952 TV series Anne of Green Gables, also starring Carole Lorimer as Anne Shirley.
- Ruby's death is thematically significant in that she has not lived well in Anne's estimation but she dies well, reaching out to her estranged friends and repairing her damaged relationships. In the end, Ruby's death is pitiable but also brave and honest. One of the core themes of Anne of the Island is Anne's philosophical journey and Ruby's death is important in this context.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 27 images of Ruby Gillis (view gallery).|
- Main article: Ruby Gillis/Appearances
TV series appearances
Radio drama appearances
Web series appearances