|Also known as||
|Clubs and societies|
Rachel was born in the middle of 1820s probably in Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. She was raised there and attended school at the age of six. Rachel had a schoolmate who was redheaded and after some time her hair colour turned to auburn.
Marriage with Thomas Lynde
In middle of 1840s, when she was 18 years old, she married Thomas Lynde. They had twelve children together, two of which died a young age. In 1858, they moved to new house which they named Lynde's Hollow.
Two weeks after Anne's arrival Rachel came to Green Gables, to know her. She said that Anne was ugly. Anne was angry and said that she hate Rachel. Rachel was horrified and leave Green Gables. On the next evening Anne apologize by her. She forgave Anne.
Rachel's husband died in June 1883.
Life at Green Gables
Rachel moved in with Marilla after her husband died.
Rachel was outspoken and opinionated. Anne and Rachel got off on the wrong foot, but they eventually made peace with each other.
Rachel is a female given name of Hebrew origin and means ewe or female sheep.
Behind the scenes
- Ann Beach provided the voice of Mrs. Lynde in the 1997 radio drama Anne of Green Gables.
- Patricia Hamilton is the best known actress who ever portrayed Rachel Lynde. She portrayed her in all four Kevin Sullivan's films, Anne of Green Gables (1985), Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987), Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008). Patricia also played her in several episodes of Road to Avonlea (1990-1996) and in Happy Christmas, Miss King (1998). She was Rachel's voice actress in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000-2001) and in the 2005 film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Miyoko Asô was her voice actress in the Japanese TV series Akage no An (1979).
- Madge Ryan portrayed her in 1975 TV series Anne of Avonlea, replacing Avis Bunnage in that role.
- Avis Bunnage portrayed Rachel in 1972 TV series Anne of Green Gables, also starring Kim Braden as Anne Shirley.
- Terézia Kronerová provided the voice of Rachel in the 1966 radio drama Anna zo Zeleného domu.
- Germaine Giroux portrayed her in the 1957 TV film Anne de Green Gables, also starring Mirielle Lachance as Anne Shirley.
- Helene Winston portrayed Rachel in the 1956 film Anne of Green Gables and in its 1958 reprise.
- Joan Young was the voice of Rachel and aunt Josephine in the 1944 radio drama. Eight years later, she returned to play the same part in the 1952 TV series Anne of Green Gables.
- Vivienne Chatterton provided the voices of Mrs. Lynde and aunt Josephine in the British radio drama, Anne of Green Gables (1941).
- Sara Haden portrayed Mrs. Rachel Barry, the hybrid of Rachel Lynde and Mrs. Barry, in the 1934 film Anne of Green Gables, also starring Anne Shirley as Anne Shirley.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 29 images of Rachel Lynde (view gallery).|