|Also known as|| Mrs. Lynde|
|Family members|| |
Rachel was born in the middle of 1820s probably in Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. She was raised there and attended school at the age of six. Rachel had a schoolmate who was redheaded and after some time her hair colour turned to auburn.
Marriage with Thomas Lynde
In middle of 1840s, when she was 18 years old, she married Thomas Lynde. They had twelve children together, two of which died a young age. In 1858, they moved to new house which they named Lynde's Hollow.
Rachel's husband died in June 1883.
Life at Green Gables
Rachel moved in with Marilla after her husband died.
Rachel was outspoken and opinionated. Anne and Rachel got off on the wrong foot, but they eventually made peace with each other.
Rachel is a female given name of Hebrew origin and means ewe or female sheep.
Behind the scenes
- Patricia Hamilton is best known actress who ever portrayed Rachel Lynde. She portrayed her in all four Kevin Sullivan's films, Anne of Green Gables (1985), Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987), Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008). Patricia also potrayed her in several episodes of Road to Avonlea series (1990-1996) and in Happy Christmas, Miss King (1998). She was Rachel's voice actress in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000-2001) and in 2005 film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Miyoko Asô was her voice actress in Japanese TV series Akage no An (1979).
- Madge Ryan portrayed her in 1975 TV series Anne of Avonlea and replaced Avis Bunnage in that role.
- Avis Bunnage portrayed Rachel in 1972 TV series Anne of Green Gables, also starring Kim Braden as Anne Shirley.
- Terézia Kronerová provided the voice of Rachel in the 1966 radio drama Anna zo Zeleného domu.
- Germaine Giroux portrayed her in 1957 TV film Anne de Green Gables, also starring Mirielle Lachance as Anne Shirley.
- Helene Winston portrayed Rachel in 1956 film Anne of Green Gables and also in 1958 film Anne of Green Gables.
- Joan Young portrayed her in all six episodes of 1952 TV series Anne of Green Gables.
- Sara Haden portrayed Mrs. Rachel Barry, the hybrid of Rachel Lynde and Mrs. Barry, in 1934 film Anne of Green Gables, also starring Anne Shirley as Anne Shirley.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 29 images of Rachel Lynde (view gallery).|