- "I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk-cabbage."
- This article is about Matthew Cuthbert's sister. You may be looking for Gilbert and Anne Blythe's daughter, Rilla Blythe, or Kenneth and Rilla Ford's daughter, Rilla Ford.
|Also known as||
- "Marilla was a tall, thin woman, with angles and without curves; her dark hair showed some grey streaks and was always twisted up in a hard little knot behind with two wire hairpins stuck aggressively through it. She looked like a woman of narrow experience and rigid conscience, which she was; but there was a saving something about her mouth which, if it had been ever so slightly developed, might have been considered indicative of a sense of humour."
- —Anne of Green Gables[src]
Marilla was born in 1824 in Avonlea, Prince Edward Island, to Mr. and Mrs. Cuthbert. She was raised there along with her older brother Matthew. A few years later after her birth the family moved to Green Gables, a farmhouse which was built by Marilla's father.
In September 1830, Marilla attended Avonlea School. There she met John Blythe who was said to have been interested in Marilla once, and people called him Marilla's beau. Unfortunately, they had a quarrel and Marilla never forgave him. She eventually came to regret it and likely would have forgiven John Blythe if she had another chance.
Life with Anne
Marilla and Matthew were expecting a boy to help out around the farm - instead, they got the red-headed orphan, Anne. The two of them were debating whether to keep or send Anne back, but in the end Marilla gave in to Matthew's wish and decided to bring Anne up herself.
Living with Rachel Lynde
Marilla Cuthbert was very good at keeping cool and hiding her emotions. When she was very happy, she became extremely emotional, but when the event was over, she quickly regained her cool demeanor. Marilla was much more formidable then Matthew, who possessed a very kind nature under his shy countenance. The only time she wasn't calm was during the storm of 1883.
Marilla had a crispness to her, as Mrs. Lynde would say. After Matthew died and Anne matured, she got very mellow and showed her emotions a bit more. Marilla was an excellent cook.
Anne Shirley was Marilla's adopted orphan whom she originally didn't want, but later found she couldn't live without. Marilla also had trouble adjusting to Anne's growth when Anne grew taller than herself and felt than Anne was no longer a child. Marilla felt that, in some strange way, Gilbert's marriage with Anne would put right the old mistake of not forgiving his father.
Davy Keith was Dora's twin brother and Marilla's relative whom she took in when Anne was sixteen. She loved him dearly, though he got into scrapes a lot. Anne once confessed to Marilla that she liked Davy better than Dora, even though Dora had practically no faults to speak of.
Dora Keith was Davy's twin sister and Marilla's relative whom she took in after their parents died. She was very calm, demure and ladylike.
Marilla is a female given name, variant of Muriel or short form of Amaryllis and means shining sea.
- Anne Shirley named her daughter Rilla after her. Years later, Rilla gave her daughter the same name.
Behind the scenes
- Sara Botsford will play Marilla in the upcoming 2016 film Anne of Green Gables. Botsford also provided the voices of Mrs. Barry and Frau Schuller in the 2005 film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Bernadette Medhurst will portray Marilla in Season 2 of Green Gables Fables, an American-Canadian web series (2014-2015).
- Patricia Gage was Marilla's voice actress in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000-2001) and in the 2005 video film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Susan Engel provided the voice of Marilla in the 1997 radio drama Anne of Green Gables.
- Colleen Dewhurst portrayed Marilla in the 1985 film Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987). She also portrayed her in several episodes of Road to Avonlea and appeared in archive footage in Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008). Dewhurst also had a house on Prince Edward Island.
- Fumie Kitahara was Marilla's voice actress in Japanese TV series Akage no An (1979).
- Barbara Hamilton portrayed Marilla in the 1972 TV series Anne of Green Gables and in its sequel, Anne of Avonlea (1975).
- Beta Poničanová provided the voice of Marilla in the 1966 radio drama Anna zo Zeleného domu.
- Marthe Thiéry portrayed her in the 1957 TV film Anne de Green Gables, also starring Mirielle Lachance as Anne Shirley.
- Margot Christie portrayed Marilla in the 1956 film Anne of Green Gables and also in its 1958 reprise.
- Joan Miller portrayed her in all six episodes of the 1952 TV series Anne of Green Gables.
- Gwen Day Burroughs provided the voice of Marilla in the 1941 radio drama and in its 1944 remake.
- Helen Westley portrayed Marilla in the 1934 film Anne of Green Gables, also starring Anne Shirley as Anne Shirley.
- Marcia Harris played Marilla in the 1919 silent film, Anne of Green Gables. She was the first actress to play the part.
- Since 1965, these actresses have portrayed Marilla in the Charlottetown production of Anne of Green Gables – The Musical: Barbara Hamilton (1965–1968), Mary Savidge (1969–1970), Elizabeth Mawson (1971–2000), Susan Johnston Collins (2001), Judy Marshak (2002–2005), Janet MacEwen (2006–2009), Valerie Hawkins (2010), Nora McLellan (2011), Marlane O'Brien (2012–2014) and Charlotte Moore (2015).
- Since 2005, these actresses have portrayed the part in the Summerside and Charlottetown productions of Anne & Gilbert: Laura Smith (2005), Martha Irving (2008–2009), Pamela Campbell (2010–2011), Carroll Godsman (2013–2014) and Judy Marshak (2015).
- In Anne of Windy Poplars, it is mentioned that Marilla's mother (and hence Matthew's as well) was a Johnson.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 139 images of Marilla Cuthbert (view gallery).|
- Main article: Marilla Cuthbert/Appearances