|Clubs and societies|
|Portrayal in other universes|
|Related pages||Books universe|
Josie was born in Avonlea sometime in 1866 to Mr. and Mrs. Pye. In September 1872 she attended Avonlea School. Josie was younger than Anne, but she was in Anne's class because she advanced quickly (probably by cheating).
- "I'm glad... I couldn't really feel proud of keeping head of little boys and girls of just nine or ten. I got up yesterday spelling 'ebullition'. Josie Pye was head and, mind you, she peeped in her book. Mr. Phillips didn't see her - he was looking at Prissy Andrews - but I did. I just swept her a look of freezing scorn and she got as red as a beet and spelled it wrong after all."
- —Anne Shirley about Josie.
Studies at Queen's Academy
Josie joined a special class for future Queen's Academy students along with Anne, Gilbert, Jane, Ruby, Moody and Charlie. They passed the examination and all attended school in September 1880. Josie studied there for two years. In September 1882 she started teaching.
When Anne, Gilbert and Charlie decided to study at Redmond College, the Avonlea Village Improvement Society gave a farewell party in honour of Anne and Gilbert one August evening at the home of Josie.
They chose that place, partly because Mr. Pye's house was large and convenient, partly because it was strongly suspected that Josie and Gertie would have nothing to do with the affair if their offer of the house for the party was not accepted.
Josie is a female given name of English origin, shortened form of Josephine, which is of Hebrew origin and means Jehovah increases.
Behind the scenes
- In the books, Josie is plump, but in the Sullivan Entertainment films, she is thin.
- In Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987) Josie courted with Moody Spurgeon MacPherson. In the next film, Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000), they were married. This relationship exists only in the films. In the books she married unknown man.
- In Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story she agreed with Moody's decision to enlist with other Canadian soldiers. During World War I, she became a widow, because Moody was killed in one battle. In the books, she was happily married and her husband didn't enlist to the war.
- In Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, Josie and Anne reconciled after Moody's death in World War I. In the books, it is unknown if they reconciled.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 32 images of Josie Pye (view gallery).|
- Anne of Green Gables
- Anne of Avonlea (mentioned only)
- Anne of the Island
- Anne of Windy Poplars (mentioned only)
- Anne's House of Dreams (mentioned only)
- Rilla of Ingleside (mentioned only)
Short story appearances