- "I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk-cabbage."
- This article is about the wife of John Blythe and mother of Gilbert Blythe. You may be looking for Dave Blythe's wife, Mrs. Blythe.
They most likely got married in the early 1860s and settled down at John's farm in Avonlea. It is possible that their wedding took place earlier and they couldn't have a baby immediately after the wedding.
Mrs. Blythe was very happy when Gilbert and Anne Shirley got engaged. She and John were invited for their wedding at Green Gables in September 1890. She often visited them in their House of Dreams in Four Winds and later in Ingleside, Glen St. Mary. During her visit in 1895, the Blythe twins Nan and Di were born. Nan inherited her brown hair and nut-brown eyes.
She died in 1898 and was buried at Avonlea graveyard. John was devastated after her death. He died one year later and was buried next to her.
Anne thought she was very merry and young-hearted.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Hazel Bainbridge portrayed Mrs. Blythe in the last episode of the 1975 TV series Anne of Avonlea, also starring Kim Braden as Anne Shirley.
- Mrs. Blythe's granddaughter Nan didn't look like her twin Diana – instead she looked like her grandmother, with brown hair and nut-brown eyes.
- Mrs. Blythe never met two of her granddaughters, Joyce and Rilla. Joyce died the same day she was born and Rilla was born a year after Mrs. Blythe's death.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 0 images of John Blythe's wife (view category).|
Short story appearances
TV series appearances