Happy Christmas, Miss King (titled An Avonlea Christmas on later DVD releases) is a Road to Avonlea reunion movie. It was made for television and first aired in 1998.
In the midst of World War I in Europe, the people of Avonlea are preparing for Christmas. Hetty King plans a special Christmas concert with the schoolchildren to raise funds for the war, but finds herself under a great deal of pressure when she learns the young, new Superintendent of Schools, known for having progressive ideas about teaching, will be attending the concert.
Meanwhile, Janet King tries not to think about the war as her son Felix is fighting in Europe, but the King family is devastated when they learn from Cecily, working as a telegraph operator, that her brother has been listed as "missing in action." When Hetty tries to remind Janet that Felix's efforts in the war are an honour and duty to his country, Janet expresses how she feels that Felix should have never gone and that he had been forced into fighting because of Hetty's words about duty. When they learn that more boys from Avonlea have been killed in the war, Janet becomes increasingly vocal of her disapproval of the war. Hetty is displeased with Janet's stance and tries to speak to her about doing her duty, which infuriates Janet, who refuses to speak to Hetty anymore.
Fearing for her job, Hetty focuses on ensuring her concert is a success and goes to Charlottetown to ask her former student, famous performer Wilfred Ainsley, to perform. However, she collapses from a spinal tumour and is brought to a hospital by Arthur Pettibone, where he reveals that she will need surgery to remove the tumour and to determine if it is benign or malignant. When Janet and Alec go to Charlottetown, Janet still refuses to speak with Hetty and her relationship with Alec is strained from their arguments about more boys going to war and not knowing if Felix is alive.
When the news of Hetty's illness arrives in Avonlea, everyone rallies to support her, especially Felicity, who helps Hetty's students rehearse for their Christmas concert. Hetty worries about her surgery and thinks upon her life's accomplishments and how she will be remembered. During her surgery, she dreams about her students and Felix going to war because of her and calls for them to return. When she awakes, Hetty finds the surgery was a success and the tumour is benign. While recovering in the hospital, Wilfred Ainsley visits her and agrees to perform at Hetty's concert at Janet's request out of admiration for his former teacher.
The concert proves to be a great success and the King family resolves their differences as they come together for Christmas dinner at Rose Cottage. To their great happiness, Felix arrives home, safe and sound.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Cedric Smith, who portrayed Alec King in Happy Christmas, Miss King and Road to Avonlea (1990–1996), also played Reverend Allan in Anne of Green Gables (1985) and was the voice actor of Tupper in the 2005 film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Jackie Burroughs, who played Hetty King in Happy Christmas, Miss King and Road to Avonlea (1990–1996), also appeared in Anne of Green Gables (1985) as Amelia Evans.
- Lally Cadeau portrayed Janet King in Happy Christmas, Miss King and Road to Avonlea (1990–1996). She was also the voice actress of Madame Poubelle in Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2005).
- Mag Ruffman, who portrayed Olivia Dale in Happy Christmas, Miss King and Road to Avonlea (1990–1996), also appeared in the role as Alice Lawson in Anne of Green Gables (1985) and Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987).
- Zachary Bennett, who played Felix King in Happy Christmas, Miss King and Road to Avonlea (1990–1996), also provided the voice of Lorne in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000–2001).
- Patricia Hamilton (Rachel Lynde) portrayed another incarnation of Rachel Lynde in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000–2001) and Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2005).
- R.D. Reid (Dr. Paige) played Reverend Morgan in Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000).
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 4 images of Happy Christmas, Miss King (view gallery).|