Gilbert Blythe came from a big family, but his mother passed away soon after he was born and eventually he ended up with just his father in Avonlea. He works on the farm of his ill father, although he deeply wishes to become a doctor.
Gilbert Blythe has short curly dark brown hair, hazel eyes and a mischievous smile. He is lean and of average height. Gilbert is consistently described as handsome.
Gilbert Blythe's good natured attitude, charm and looks easily make him the most popular boy in school and the object of fancy for the majority of his female classmates. He's ambitious, as shown by his academic prowess, and caring. Prior to Anne Shirley's arrival, his position of 'best in class' was unchallenged. As a child, Gilbert possessed a certain maturity his peers lack, most likely a result of his responsibilities at home, mainly taking care of his ill father.
John is his father, who passed.
Gilbert is seen to like Anne which is shown when he sticks up for her against Billy Andrews also when he says ‘a cute girl is a cute girl’ though they have a strong rivalry towards the end of the series they become good friends.
Ruby Gillis Edit
Gilbert is idolized by Ruby for being handsome. He seems to only acknowledge Ruby out of politeness, opting instead, for Anne.
Gilbert meets Sebastian during his travels working on a ship. They bond quickly after Gilbert promises not to lose Sebastian's job due to the boy's constant singing. Sebastian shows him the way around Trinidad (Sebastian's home), even allowing Gilbert to meet his mother (who is held in slavery). Upon returning to Avonlea during the winter, Sebastian stays in Gilbert's house.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The CBC website describes him as, Easy-going and confident, Gilbert Blythe is Anne's academic rival and popular leader in school. He appreciates and admires Anne because of all the ways she's different from everyone else.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 357 images of Gilbert Blythe (view gallery).|
Season 1 (Anne with an E)
- "But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?"
- "An Inward Treasure Born"
- "Tightly Knotted to a Similar String"
- "Remorse Is the Poison of Life"
- "Wherever You Are Is My Home"
Season 2 (Anne with an E)
- "Youth Is the Season of Hope"
- "Signs Are Small Measurable Things, But Interpretations Are Illimitable"
- "The True Seeing Is Within"
- "The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope"
- "The Determining Acts of Her Life"
- "I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion"
- "Memory Has as Many Moods as the Temper"
- "Struggling Against the Perception of Facts"
- "What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are"
- "The Growing Good of the World"
| Billy Andrews · Jane Andrews · Prissy Andrews · Diana Barry · Eliza Barry · Minnie May Barry · William Barry|
Jerry Baynard · Gilbert Blythe · Tillie Boulter · Marilla Cuthbert · Matthew Cuthbert · Ruby Gillis · Rachel Lynde
Mr. Phillips · Josie Pye · Anne Shirley · Charlie Sloane · Moody Spurgeon
| Mr. Andrews · Mrs. Andrews · Mr. Avery · Bank Manager · Josephine Barry · Mrs. Blewett · John Blythe · Doctor|
Mr. Dunlop · Mr. Gillis · Mrs. Gillis · Mr. Hammond · Mrs. Hammond · Jeannie · Mary Joe · Mrs. Kincannon · Thomas Lynde
Matron · Minister · Nathaniel · Pawnbroker · Miss Rogerson · Mrs. Spencer · Stablemaster · Stationmaster