- "I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk-cabbage."
- This article is about Anne Shirley's best friend. You may be looking for Gilbert and Anne Blythe's daughter, Diana Blythe, or Jerry and Nan Meredith's daughter, Diana Meredith.
|Also known as|| |
|Family members|| |
Aunts and uncles
Diana Wright (nee Barry) was the daughter of George and Mrs. Barry, the older sister of Minnie May, the wife of Fred Wright, the mother of Fred Jr., Anne Cordelia, and Jack Wright and the bosom friend of Anne Shirley.
She was raised there along with her friends, Jane Andrews and Ruby Gillis. In September of 1871, Diana and her friends attended Avonlea school. When she was eight years old, her younger sister Minnie May was born.
Arrival of Anne Shirley
When Anne Shirley moved into Green Gables, Marilla suggested Diana as a possible friend for her. Anne, the optomistic and dreamy, was immediately exuberant and excited. She was worried if Diana's mother would approve of her, the orphan of nowhere. Fortunately for Anne, Mrs. Barry did allow her to be Diana's playmate. The two became dear friends, following a serious ceremony in which they swore to be "bosom friends" forever.
Much to Anne's surprise, Diana said yes when Fred Wright asked her to marry him. During the course of Anne of Avonlea the two were engaged. Anne was glad her bosom friend was happy, but secretly considered Fred far different from the dashing, handsome, and wicked ideal Diana had dreamed of in younger years.
Marriage with Fred Wright
In June 1886, Diana and Fred got married in Orchard Slope, Avonlea. She chose Anne for bridesmaid, Gilbert was Fred's groomsman. Diana wore a beautiful white wedding gown, pink roses, and a misty veil.
In December of next year, her second child was born. She named her daughter Anne Cordelia after her childhood best friend Anne and her dream name, Cordelia Fitzgerald. Only Anne and Diana knew the reason behind it, however, simple Avonlea was shocked that she chose name Cordelia.
Diana was rosy cheeked with black, curly hair and black eyes. She was plump but wished to be tall and slender.
Diana is female given name of Latin origin and means divine.
- Diana's friend Anne Shirley named one of her twin daughters Diana. Years later, her sister Nan named her only daughter Diana.
Behind the scenes
- Schuyler Grant portrayed Diana in three films by Kevin Sullivan; Anne of Green Gables (1985), Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987) and Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000).
- Ravyn Hohneke portrays Diana in Green Gables Fables (2014), an American web series and the modern adaptation of Anne of Green Gables.
- May Walker portrayed her in 2008 film Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning.
- Buddhika Wimalasekara portrayed older Diana in Sri Lankan TV series Anne (2007).
- Piyumi Gamage portrayed younger Diana in 2007 TV series Anne.
- Rebecca Peters was her voice actress in 2005 film Anne: Journey to Green Gables.
- Emily Hampshire was Diana's voice actress in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000-2001).
- Gara Takashima was her voice actress in Japanese TV series Akage no An (1979).
- Jan Francis portrayed her in 1972 TV series Anne of Green Gables and its sequel, Anne of Avonlea (1975).
- Katka Minichová provided the voice of Diana in the 1966 radio drama Anna zo Zeleného domu.
- Lise Lasalle portrayed Diana in 1957 TV film Anne de Green Gables, also starring Mirielle Lachance as Anne Shirley.
- Margaret Griffin portrayed her in 1956 TV film Anne of Green Gables, and also in 1958 film Anne of Green Gables.
- Phyllis Shumway portrayed Diana in five episodes of 1952 TV series Anne of Green Gables.
- Gertrude Messinger portrayed her in 1934 film Anne of Green Gables, also starring Anne Shirley as Anne Shirley.
- Laurie Lowelle was the first asctress who portrayed Diana - in 1919 silent film Anne of Green Gables.
- Diana was modeled after Laura Pritchard Agnew, one of Lucy Maud Montgomery's first kindred spirits, who lived in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Gilbert Blythe was modeled after Laura's brother Will.
- Diana's name was originally Laura, then it was changed to Gertrude.
- In the books, Diana is known for her black hair and she is married to Fred Wright. In the 1934 film, Diana was blonde and she was married to Mr. Roberts. Their wedding took place during Anne's stay in Charlottetown, so she wasn't able to attend her friend's wedding.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 137 images of Diana Barry (view gallery).|
Short stories appearances
TV series appearances