Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose would be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk-cabbage."
- This article is about Anne Shirley's best friend. You may be looking for Gilbert and Anne Blythe's daughter, Diana Blythe, or Jerry and Nan Meredith's daughter, Diana Meredith.
|Also known as||
Aunts and uncles
|Clubs and societies|
|Portrayal in other universes|
|Related pages||Books universe|
Diana Wright (nee Barry) was the daughter of George and Mrs. Barry, the older sister of Minnie May, the wife of Fred Wright, the mother of Fred Jr., Anne Cordelia, and Jack Wright and the bosom friend of Anne Shirley.
She was raised there along with her friends, Jane Andrews and Ruby Gillis. In September of 1871, Diana and her friends attended Avonlea school. When she was eight years old, her younger sister Minnie May was born.
Arrival of Anne Shirley
When Anne Shirley moved into Green Gables, Marilla suggested Diana as a possible friend for her. Optimistic and hopeful, Anne was immediately exuberant and excited at the thought of becoming friends with Diana, though she was worried if Diana's mother would approve of her, the orphan of nowhere. Fortunately for Anne, Mrs. Barry did allow her to be Diana's playmate. The two became dear friends, following a serious ceremony in which they swore to be "bosom friends" forever.
Much to Anne's surprise, Diana said yes when Fred Wright asked her to marry him. During the course of Anne of Avonlea the two were engaged. Anne was glad her bosom friend was happy, but secretly considered Fred far different from the dashing, handsome, and wicked ideal Diana had dreamed of in younger years.
Marriage with Fred Wright
In June 1886, Diana and Fred got married in Orchard Slope, Avonlea. She chose Anne for bridesmaid, Gilbert was Fred's groomsman. Diana wore a beautiful white wedding gown, pink roses, and a misty veil.
In December of next year, her second child was born. She named her daughter Anne Cordelia after her childhood best friend Anne and her dream name, Cordelia Fitzgerald. Only Anne and Diana knew the reason behind it, however, Avonlea was shocked that she chose the name Cordelia, as it was not in either of the Wright or Barry connections.
Anne and Diana became best friends upon first meeting when Anne swore "eternal friendship" with her in the garden. They kept their promise to each other and remained best friends even when Mrs. Barry wouldn't let Diana play with Anne because Anne had set Diana drunk on currant wine. Later, however, when Anne saved Diana's younger sister Minnie May's life, Mrs. Barry let her daughter play with Anne again.
Diana probably met Fred in Avonlea when they started courting. He was much different than the "ideal man" that Diana wanted to marry -- he was "round and red". However, Diana still loved him and entrusted him with her secrets, later marrying him in 1886.
Diana was rosy cheeked with black, curly hair and black eyes. She was plump but wished to be tall and slender.
Diana is a female given name of Latin origin and means divine.
- Diana's friend Anne Shirley named one of her twin daughters Diana. Years later, her sister Nan named her only daughter Diana.
Behind the scenes
- Diana was modeled after Laura Pritchard Agnew, one of Lucy Maud Montgomery's first kindred spirits, who lived in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Gilbert Blythe was modeled after Laura's brother Will.
- Diana's name was originally Laura, then it was changed to Gertrude.
- In the books, Diana is known for her black hair and she is married to Fred Wright. In the 1934 film, Diana was blonde and she was married to Mr. Roberts. Their wedding took place during Anne's stay in Charlottetown, so she wasn't able to attend her friend's wedding.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 252 images of Diana Barry (view gallery).|
- Anne of Green Gables
- Anne of Avonlea
- Anne of the Island
- Anne of Windy Poplars
- Anne's House of Dreams
- Anne of Ingleside
- Rainbow Valley (mentioned only)
- Rilla of Ingleside (mentioned only)
Short story appearances