|Anne of the Island|
L. C. Page & Co. (Boston, United States)
|Related pages||Out of universe|
Anne of the Island is the third book in the eight-book Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery, about Anne Shirley and her friends. In this book, Anne leaves Green Gables for the first time to go to Redmond College and obtain a B.A. At the start of the book, Anne is 18, and at the end she is 22.
all the girls over the world
who have 'wanted more' about
New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs her bags, waves goodbye to childhood, and heads for Redmond College. With her old friend Prissy Grant waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport, and her frivolous new friend Philippa Gordon by her side, Anne tucks away her memories of rural Avonlea and discovers life on her own terms, filled with surprises... including a marriage proposal from the worst fellow imaginable, the sale of her very first story, and a tragedy that teaches her a painful lesson. But tears turn to laughter when Anne and her friends move move into an old cottage and an ornery black cat steals her heart. Little does Anne know that handsome Gilbert Blythe wants to win her heart, too. Suddenly Anne must decide whether she's ready for love. (from the 1998 Bantam Books reissue)
Chapter 1: The Shadow of Change
Summer is over and Diana and Anne have been picking apples in the Green Gables orchard, but stop to have a rest and talk. Many changes have happened or will happen. Stephen Irving and Lavendar Lewis have been married for a week, though it seems longer. Mrs Rachel Lynde is preparing to move into Green Gables after the death of her husband. Diana is engaged, of course, and Anne, Gilbert and Charlie are getting ready to leave for Redmond College in Nova Scotia. Anne retrieves a letter from the post office and discovers that a friend from Queen's Academy, Priscilla Grant, will also be there. On the way home, Anne meets Gilbert, but feels uncomfortable when she senses something that may mar their friendship in his behaviour. At home, Davy confides in her (he is put out after missing seeing Dora falling down the stairs and skinning her nose). Davy is heedless and Anne careless, but she sends him to bed, and she herself goes to Victoria Island to daydream.
Chapter 2: Garlands of Autumn
The last week speeds by quickly. The A.V.I.S. gives a farewell party in honour of Anne and Gilbert, which is held at Josie Pye's home. As founders of the Society, Anne is presented with a volume of Shakespeare's plays, and Gilbert with a fountain pen. Gilbert says something sentimental to Anne, and Anne snubs him by walking home with Charlie Sloane.
- "She found, however, that revenge hurts nobody quite so much as the one who tries to inflict it."
- —Anne's regrets
Gilbert 'airily' walks Ruby Gillis home, to Anne's discomfort. However, he drops by Green Gables the next evening and cheers up Anne, who is feeling a little down about leaving Prince Edward Island, by taking her for a walk. Marilla and Mrs Lynde are watching from the kitchen window, and Mrs Lynde speculates that Anne and Gilbert will 'be a match some day', though Marilla is less forthcoming, and says only, 'They're still children yet.'
Gilbert, meanwhile, takes Anne through the Haunted Wood to a single apple tree by a marsh. They have a companionable time there, and Anne declares of the apples: 'The fatal apple of Eden couldn't have had a rarer flavour.' The two of them discuss lightly Anne's plans for the future, and as they are walking home, Gilbert watches Anne and thinks, 'I wonder if I can ever make her care for me.'
Chapter 3: Greeting and Farewell
Chapter 4: April's Lady
Chapter 5: Letters From Home
Chapter 6: In the Park
Chapter 7: Home Again
Chapter 8: Anne's First Proposal
Chapter 9: An Unwelcome Lover and a Welcome Friend
Chapter 10: Patty's Place
Chapter 11: The Round of Life
Chapter 12: "Averil's Atonement"
Chapter 13: The Way of Transgressors
Chapter 14: The Summons
Chapter 15: A Dream Turned Upside Down
Chapter 16: Adjusted Relationships
Chapter 17: A Letter From Davy
Chapter 18: Miss Josephine Remembers the Anne-Girl
Chapter 19: An Interlude
Chapter 20: Gilbert Speaks
Chapter 21: Roses of Yesterday
Chapter 22: Spring and Anne Return to Green Gables
Chapter 23: Paul Cannot Find the Rock People
Chapter 24: Enter Jonas
Chapter 25: Enter Prince Charming
Chapter 26: Enter Christine
Chapter 27: Mutual Confidences
Chapter 28: A June Evening
Chapter 29: Diana's Wedding
Chapter 30: Mrs. Skinner's Romance
Chapter 31: Anne to Philippa
Chapter 32: Tea With Mrs. Douglas
Chapter 33: "He Just Kept Coming and Coming"
Chapter 34: John Douglas Speaks at Last
Chapter 35: The Last Redmond Year Opens
Chapter 36: The Gardners' Call
Chapter 37: Full-Fledged B.A's
Chapter 38: False Dawn
Chapter 39: Deals With Weddings
Chapter 40: A Book of Revelation
Chapter 41: Love Takes Up the Glass of Time
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 137 images of Anne of the Island (view gallery).|
- Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987), a television film directed by Kevin Sullivan of Sullivan Entertainment and starring Megan Follows as Anne, Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert Blythe, Schuyler Grant as Diana Barry and Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla Cuthbert. It was first aired in Canada under the title Anne of Avonlea, and is the sequel to the 1985 television film Anne of Green Gables, based on Anne of Green Gables. It was followed up by Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008), neither of which are based on the books.
- Anne of Avonlea (1975), a six-episode TV series starring Kim Braden as Anne. It is the sequel to the TV series Anne of Green Gables (1972), now believed to be lost. It is based on Anne of Avonlea as well as Anne of the Island.
- Anne & Gilbert (since 2005), a stage production that has been playing since 2005. Its first act is based on Anne of Avonlea, while the second part is based on Anne of the Island. It follows very closely to the books, with only a few minor changes.
- Anne of the Island (1979), a Polish radio drama, originally produced and broadcast in 1979. It was directed by Maria Wachowiak and starred Anna Romantowska as Anne.
- Anne of the Island (2009), a German audio drama produced by Titania Medien, adapted into four parts and starred Marie Bierstedt as Anne.
- Green Gables Fables (2014–2016), an American-Canadian web series set in the present day Canada. Its first season is based on Anne of Green Gables, while Season 2 depicts the events from Anne of the Island. It stars Mandy Harmon as Anne Shirley.
Behind the scenes
- Lucy Maud Montgomery's original title for this book was Anne of Redmond, but her publisher changed it to Anne of the Island.
Notes and references
|Anne of Green Gables series|
| Anne of Green Gables (1908) | Anne of Avonlea (1909) | Anne of the Island (1915) | Anne of Windy Poplars (1936)|
Anne's House of Dreams (1917) | Anne of Ingleside (1939) | Rainbow Valley (1919) | Rilla of Ingleside (1921)
|Spinoffs by L. M. Montgomery|
| Chronicles of Avonlea (1912) | Further Chronicles of Avonlea (1920)|
The Road to Yesterday (1974) | The Blythes Are Quoted (2009)
| The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook (1985) by Kate Macdonald|
Imagining Anne: The Island Scrapbooks of L. M. Montgomery (2008) by Elizabeth Rollins Epperly
Before Green Gables (2008) by Budge Wilson