|Anne of Green Gables|
William Desmond Taylor
|Related pages||Out of universe|
Anne Shirley, an orphan, is taken into the lives of a generous farmer and his sister. She grows from an adventuresome young lass into a charming and much sought-after young lady.
Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert adopt a lively child named Anne Shirley to live with them on their farm, Green Gables. Although Anne's whimsical nature is at first misunderstood by her unimaginative foster mother, the two come to love each other. Anne's antagonists are Mrs. Pie, the village gossip, and her malicious daughter Josie. Anne is involved in many mischievous adventures as a girl, but after her graduation, she becomes the village schoolmistress and saves her meager earnings for an operation that will restore her mother's failing sight. One of her pupils, Anthony Pie, claims that Anne beat him cruelly and broke his arm. Reverend Figtree, however, reveals to the angry townspeople that he saw Anthony break his arm when he fell from a haywagon. Exonerated, Anne marries her sweetheart, Gilbert Blythe.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This is the first film adaptation of Anne of Green Gables.
- It was filmed in Dedham, Massachusetts, USA, from August 1919 to October 1919. It was released on November 23, 1919.
- Due to being filmed in America, the main set is drastically different from the Canadian one. The Green Gables home featured on a cover bore no resemblance to the original Green Gables.
- By 1999, all prints of the film were believed to have been lost.
- The film was recreated in 2008 by Jack and Linda Hutton and can be purchased at their website.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 9 images of Anne of Green Gables (1919 film) (view gallery).|
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 29 images from Anne of Green Gables (1919 film) (view gallery).|
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Anne of Green Gables 1919 - Cursed?" at SullivanMovies