Anne Shirley returns to Avonlea after five years of teaching at an orphanage in Nova Scotia while separated from her fiancé, Gilbert Blythe, who was finishing medical school. After catching up with Diana Barry and other old friends, Anne and Diana visit Green Gables, and a horrified Anne realizes that since Marilla's death the owners have treated Green Gables so poorly, that it is coming apart. Later, Anne is reunited with Gilbert on the island. However, instead of settling down immediately, Gilbert asks Anne to move to New York since he has been offered a staff position at a prestigious medical institution. Her reluctant agreement comes with the promise of being published and that they will return to Prince Edward Island to raise their family.
In New York, Anne is employed as a junior editor at a small publishing house, where she meets Jack Garrison, a writer and local sensation who becomes interested in Anne. Seeing her potential as a writer, he offers to become the editor for her new manuscript and use his influence to have it published under both their names. When the manuscript is accepted, Anne is outraged to learn that Jack has presented it as his own; she breaks off contact with Jack, who reveals he has fallen in love with her. Meanwhile, Gilbert is troubled by his work at the hospital - most of the doctors are more interested in prestige than saving lives. Disillusioned by life in New York, Anne and Gilbert return to Prince Edward Island.
Upon returning to Avonlea, Gilbert buys Green Gables from Mr. Harrison and they set about restoring the house as they plan their wedding. However, the couple find the effect of World War I to be much more present; Fred Wright, Diana's husband, eventually enlists in the war as his family life becomes increasingly strained. Increasing pressure results in Gilbert enlisting as medical officer and he convinces Anne to marry him before he leaves. When he is declared missing in action, Anne leaves for Europe as a Red Cross volunteer in hopes of finding him.
Anne's desperate search leads to a chance meeting with Jack Garrison, along with his lover, Colette, and their infant son, Dominic. Jack, involved in dangerous espionage activities, leaves suddenly and asks that Anne take Colette and Dominic to London. However, Colette is killed in an explosion while Anne briefly sees Gilbert as his troop is forced to abandon their field hospital. Anne promises Colette on her last breath to take care of Dominic and find his father. Left to care for Dominic, Anne finds an injured Fred Wright and his arm must be amputated. They leave for London and reside in Jack's apartment until they can return to Canada; in that time, Anne works for a British newspaper office and becomes acquainted with Fergus Keegan, Jack's editor, and Maude Montrose, one of Jack's contemporaries and a fellow spy. When Jack arrives to make arrangements for his family, he learns of Colette's death and asks for Anne to care for Dominic should anything happen to him. Though Anne intends to return to Canada with Fred and Dominic, her connection to Jack as well as a resurfacing chance of finding Gilbert results in taking Dominic with her to France.
Disguised as a nun and befriending entertainers Margaret Bush and Elsie James, Anne struggles to bring Dominic to Kit Garrison, Jack's aunt who has also become involved in war efforts. Reunited again with Jack, Anne travels with him in hopes for finding her husband. As Anne's search continues to be fruitless, Jack attempts to persuade her to return with him to the United States and form a family with him and Dominic; Anne refuses, determined to continue searching for Gilbert in Germany. When she encounters Margaret and Elsie again, she joins them in entertaining the soldiers; in the crowd is Gilbert and Anne is reunited with him at last. Jack arranges for them to leave immediately as the armistice to end the war approaches. However, Keegan's fear of being exposed as a traitor by Jack's group results in Jack being shot on the train; as he dies, he asks that Anne take care of his son. Once the armistice is declared, Anne and Gilbert attempt to find Dominic, but after finding Kit Garrison's château empty, they are forced to return to Canada in hopes of finding the child from home.
After a year of living back in Avonlea, Anne and Gilbert arrive at the local train station to collect Dominic, whom they are adopting as their own. They decide to leave Green Gables to Diana and Fred while they "make a new life, but built on all the old foundations" and "build a good home, and raise a family, with lots of scope for the imagination."
It also leaves an opening for a return to the L.M. Montgomery storyline as the Blythes move to Ingleside.
- Main article: Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story/Soundtrack
Behind the scenesEdit
- Brad Austin (Winfield Receptionist) later played Barn Groom in Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008).
- Nigel Bennett (Fergus Keagen) had also played Enoch Cain in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Janet-Laine Green (Maud Montrose) portrayed Eliza Pike in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Patricia Hamilton (Rachel Lynde) provided the voice of another incarnation of Rachel Lynde in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000–2001) and Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2005).
- Kyra Harper (Dishevelled Woman) later portrayed Nellie Parkhurst in Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008).
- Maggie Huculak (Female V.A.D.) played Superintendant in Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008).
- Dalene Irvine (Ginny Andrews) was also the voice actress of Felicity King in Anne of Green Gables: The Animated Series (2000–2001) and Anne: Journey to Green Gables (2005).
- François Klanfer (Neufchateau Priest) played Theatre Manager in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Greg Spottiswood (Fred Wright) portrayed David Hawes in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Brendan Wall (Journalist) also played Tom in Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008).
- Richard McMillan (Canadian Embassy Clerk) played Lionel Lester in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Gordon Jocelyn (Dr. Stuart) played Dr. Sparrow in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Shannon Lawson (Elsie James) played Miss Gordon in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Alexa Gilmour (Red Cross Woman) played Katie in Road to Avonlea (1990–1996).
- Dan Lett (Walter Owen) played Clayton (Shopkeeper) in Anne (2017).
- R.D. Reid (Reverend Morgan) played Dr. Paige in Happy Christmas, Miss King (1998).
- Gilbert‘s costume was a genuine medical uniform from the World War I.
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 5 images of Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (view gallery).|
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 83 images from Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (view gallery).|
Behind the scenes