|Anne of Avonlea|
L. C. Page & Co. (Boston, United States)
|Related pages||Out of universe|
Anne of Avonlea is the second book in the Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery. In this book, Anne Shirley, the protagonist, is sixteen and has taken up the post of teacher in her small village of Avonlea. Anne of Avonlea chronicles her adventures from age sixteen to age eighteen.
my former teacher,
HATTIE GORDON SMITH
in grateful remembrance of her
sympathy and encouragement."
At age sixteen, Anne is grown up... almost. Her grey eyes shine like evening stars, but her red hair is still as peppery as her temper. In the years since she arrived at Green Gables as a freckle-faced orphan, she has earned the love of the people of Avonlea and a reputation for getting into scrapes. But when Anne begins her job as the new schoolteacher, the real test of her character begins. Along with teaching the three Rs, she is learing how complicated life can be when she meddles in someone else's romance, finds two new orphans at Green Gables and wonders about the strange behavior of the very handsome Gilbert Blythe. As Anne enters womanhood, her adventures touch the heart and the funny bone. (from the 1998 Bantam Books reissue)
Chapter 1: An Irate Neighbour
Chapter 2: Selling in Haste and Repenting at Leisure
Chapter 3: Mr. Harrison at Home
Chapter 4: Different Opinions
Chapter 5: A Full-fledged Schoolma'am
Chapter 6: All Sorts and Conditions of Men ... and Women
Chapter 7: The Pointing of Duty
Chapter 8: Marilla Adopts Twins
Chapter 9: A Question of Colour
Chapter 10: Davy in Search of a Sensation
Chapter 11: Facts and Fancies
Chapter 12: A Jonah Day
Chapter 13: A Golden Picnic
Chapter 14: A Danger Averted
Chapter 15: The Beginning of Vacation
Chapter 16: The Substance of Things Hoped For
Chapter 17: A Chapter of Accidents
Chapter 18: An Adventure on the Tory Road
Chapter 19: Just a Happy Day
Chapter 20: The Way It Often Happens
Chapter 21: Sweet Miss Lavendar
Chapter 22: Odds and Ends
Chapter 23: Miss Lavendar's Romance
Chapter 24: A Prophet in His Own Country
Chapter 25: An Avonlea Scandal
Chapter 26: Around the Bend
Chapter 27: An Afternoon at the Stone House
Chapter 28: The Prince Comes Back to the Enchanted Palace
Chapter 29: Poetry and Prose
Chapter 30: A Wedding at the Stone House
|Anne of Green Gables Wiki has 157 images of Anne of Avonlea (view gallery).|
- Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987), a television film directed by Kevin Sullivan of Sullivan Entertainment and starring Megan Follows as Anne, Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert Blythe, Schuyler Grant as Diana Barry and Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla Cuthbert. It was first aired in Canada under the title Anne of Avonlea, and is the sequel to the 1985 television film Anne of Green Gables, based on Anne of Green Gables. It was followed up by Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story (2000) and Anne of Green Gables: A New Beginning (2008), neither of which are based on the books.
- Anne of Avonlea (1975), a six-episode TV series starring Kim Braden as Anne. It is the sequel to the TV series Anne of Green Gables (1972), now believed to be lost.
- Anne & Gilbert (since 2005), a stage production that has been playing since 2005. Its first act is based on Anne of Avonlea, while the second part is based on Anne of the Island. It follows very closely to the books, with only a few minor changes.
- Anne of Avonlea (1979), a Polish radio drama, originally produced and broadcast in 1979. It was directed by Maria Wachowiak and starred Anna Romantowska as Anne.
- Anne of Avonlea (2008), a German audio drama produced by Titania Medien, adapted into four parts and starring Marie Bierstedt as Anne.
Behind the scenes
- Anne of Avonlea is dedicated to Hattie Gordon Smith, Lucy Maud Montgomery's favourite teacher who taught her in Cavendish, Prince Edward Island, when Montgomery was fourteen years old. Miss Gordon was probably the first teacher who helped Montgomery cultivate her writing talent.
- Montgomery began writing this book in winter 1908 and finished it on August 3, 1909.
- The original manuscript of Anne of Avonlea no longer exists.
|Anne of Green Gables series|
| Anne of Green Gables (1908) | Anne of Avonlea (1909) | Anne of the Island (1915) | Anne of Windy Poplars (1936)|
Anne's House of Dreams (1917) | Anne of Ingleside (1939) | Rainbow Valley (1919) | Rilla of Ingleside (1921)
|Spinoffs by L. M. Montgomery|
| Chronicles of Avonlea (1912) | Further Chronicles of Avonlea (1920)|
The Road to Yesterday (1974) | The Blythes Are Quoted (2009)
| The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook (1985) by Kate Macdonald|
Imagining Anne: The Island Scrapbooks of L. M. Montgomery (2008) by Elizabeth Rollins Epperly
Before Green Gables (2008) by Budge Wilson